Compiling Grep

David thunderbolt01 at netscape.net
Fri Mar 15 16:15:39 PST 2002

Hi All,

While building a LFS system I found a newer version of grep a others. My
problem is with grep while compiling it in Chapter 6.  I find that it
compiles to the point of installing and then fails due to it being
previously installed during Chapter 5.

I am trying to compile grep-2.5 which fails when it tries to make the
links to egrep.  Here is the last few lines of the compile.

ln -s grep /bin/egrep
ln: `/bin/grep': File exists
make[2]: *** [install-exec-local] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/grep-2.5/src'
make[1]: ***[install-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/grep-2.5/src'
make: *** [install-recursive] Error 1

That's where it ends and dumps me back to the prompt.
Any one know of a fix for this?

Registered with the Linux Counter.  http://counter.li.org
ID # 123538

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org