New Installation

Don Smith midio at att.net
Fri Mar 15 12:33:27 PST 2002

"Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in message
news:20020315124522.M2306 at gwaihir.linuxfromscratch.org...
> On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 12:27:56PM -0500, Feingold Josh S wrote:
> > I would like to create LFS.  Here are the specs I am working with.
Can
> > someone tell me if this is a feasible plan.
> >
> > I have a Windows XP system with three partitions.  The first
partition (8GB)
> > holds Windows.  The second partition (8GB) is for program files.
The third
> > partition (2GB) is empty.
> >
> > I have a copy of MU Linux that is booted from floppy then runs in
RAM.

> > My idea is to download the needed packages and unzip them on the
second
> > partition.  Then I can use the third partition to build the system.
>
> A Linux that runs solely in RAM can't possibly contain everything you
need
> such as compilers, linkers, static libraries and more. You really need
> first install a regular distribution such as Redhat, Mandrake,
Slackware,
> Debian or whatever else you can get your hands on.

And you might have a problem with the Windows file system. There are
Linux drivers for FAT32 (hopefully you are not using FAT - 128K
allocation units!), but if XP uses something new, or possibly NTFS, you
will not be able to use that scheme until a driver is available. The
last time I read config info for NTFS in the kernel, I think it said
NTFS was read-only.

--
Don

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org