configuring lilo with x86 cross-compile scenario

jonathan hirschman jonathan at hirschman.net
Fri Mar 15 10:28:09 PST 2002

I'm attempting to install LFS on a tiny embedded system for use as a
network appliance. Thanks to Nicholas Dille's excellent hint, things are
going very well so far. I'm up to chapter 8, Making the LFS system
bootable. As in his scenario, I'm doing the compiling on a different
machine with a beefier processor (it'd take weeks with the weak processor
in the embedded machine). Once I'm done, the idea is to take the drives
from the development box, move them into the embedded machine, and
hopefully boot :)

I'm concerned with issues regarding Lilo, and not being able to use it
inside of chroot. LFS is being built on /dev/hdc; this disk is going to be
moved to another machine, where it'll (obviously) become /dev/hda. The
Lilo instructions do not address this situation.

I know that using a boot floppy or CD for this would be the easiest
route, but hooking up either a CD or floppy drive is a major
PITA for this machine, perhaps impossible.

Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

jonathan

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org