New Installation

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 15 09:45:22 PST 2002

On Fri, Mar 15, 2002 at 12:27:56PM -0500, Feingold Josh S wrote:
> I would like to create LFS.  Here are the specs I am working with.  Can
> someone tell me if this is a feasible plan.
>
> I have a Windows XP system with three partitions.  The first partition (8GB)
> holds Windows.  The second partition (8GB) is for program files.  The third
> partition (2GB) is empty.
>
> I have a copy of MU Linux that is booted from floppy then runs in RAM.
>
> My idea is to download the needed packages and unzip them on the second
> partition.  Then I can use the third partition to build the system.

A Linux that runs solely in RAM can't possibly contain everything you need
such as compilers, linkers, static libraries and more. You really need to
first install a regular distribution such as Redhat, Mandrake, Slackware,
Debian or whatever else you can get your hands on.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org