library link (bzip2)

Erika Pacholleck pchllck at nexgo.de
Thu Mar 14 14:20:20 PST 2002

[14.03.02 12:31 -0500] Gerard Beekmans <-- :
> On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 03:25:55PM +0100, Erika Pacholleck wrote:
> > What reason do we have to additionally link the shared
> > in /usr/lib? Would the one in /lib not be found first?
>
> There's also the /usr/bin/ld program (linker from binutils) that uses that
> file when compiling something. But yes, /usr/bin/ld will look in /lib as
> well, there doens't really have to be a file in /usr/lib but it's
> considered clean. Though that's totally subjective, you may find it
> appalling.

Thanks, so if I got you right (for the sake of keeping the system
straight) it is totally correct to do this? :

/bin /sbin progs linked dynamically
= all lib{link}s in /lib, no linking to /usr/lib
if only the root partition is available the link is anyways not seen

/usr/bin /usr/sbin progs linked dynamically
= all in /usr/lib, no linking to /lib
if the link in usr does not work it is unlikely the other one does

Just an assumption: would ld not use the soname as reference?
If I ldd programs it is, as far as I see, always the soname in the result.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org