devpts

Sanctus Evanidus evanidus at videotron.ca
Thu Mar 14 13:01:20 PST 2002

"Richard Jenniss" <RichardJenniss at TelusPlanet.net> wrote:

> I'm at the process of using the MAKE-DEV script, I'm curious as to what devpts
> is used for?

How could I say it hmm...

It is used for virtual terminals?

For example, you, you do things on your computer using tty1.. tty2 etc.

If someone would login on "your" computer using SSH or if you'd open a terminal
window from X.

It would use pts/1 pts/2 etc...

So instead of creating a lot of entry to allow a lot of such terminals to be
active, devpts do the job by creating them "on the fly".

-Evan
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org