stuck on chroot

Lewi ichtus at mbone.petra.ac.id
Thu Mar 14 21:16:01 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:13:50PM -0500, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 10:22:08AM -0500, Lewi wrote:
> > on the book says to:
> > cd $LFS &&
> > chroot $LFS bla....bla
> >
> > what confusing me that on what user should I tun this command,
>
> As root still. In chapter 5 you changed back to the 'root' user to mount
> $LFS/proc - you haven't read any instructions to change to another user, so
> you're still root when you're running the chroot command.
>
> > when I entering as root on my red hat system, this command doesn't meant anything(I know that
> > by try to enter cd then my home dir still /root at the top of my filesystem)
>
> If you chroot to your redhat system when you're already in redhat, no it
> doesn't do anything no, because you change the / directory with the same.
> So it's like opening a new shell instead.
>
> Just make sure that when you run the
> 	cd $LFS &&
> 	chroot $LFS blah blah
>
> command, that $LFS is set (run export LFS=/mnt/lfs). Or, just follow
> chapter 2's instructions and replace $LFS with /mnt/lfs or /lfs or
> whereever you mounted the LFS partition.
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

> --

sorry, I'm still don't understand, and I have read all messages that have related with my question

I'm using xterm to build my lfs on redhat 7.1 system with glibc-2.2.4-19
now after I check all variable needed, and all packages on the chapter 5

and again I run:

cd $LFS &&
chroot $LFS /usr/bin/env -i HOME=/root \
   TERM=$TERM /bin/bash --login

[root at me /root]# cd $LFS &&
> chroot $LFS /usr/bin/env -i HOME=/root TERM=$TERM /bin/bash --login
[root at me /lfs]#

and nothing happen like maybe on the book wrote that the bash prompt will changed

--
ichtus
------