kernel immediately reboots before uncompressing

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 14 09:25:24 PST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 01:49:17PM -0800, Lord Xarph wrote:
> I created an lfs root using the directions from lfs book 3.2rc2 (3.2 final
> was not released until midway through the creation process). I compiled my
> kernel, installed it on both the lfs root and the host system (redhat 7.1),
> updated lilo, and when I select the lfs kernel from the host lilo, it
> reboots after 'loading lfs.......' but before Uncompressing kernel. I get no
> error messages (obviously), and klog is still empty. any ideas? I tried
> compiling a zImage instead of bzImage, but the kernel is too large.

Did you by any chance forgot to disable SMP in case you only have one CPU?
Sometimes enabling SMP can cause problems like this. Also, check for other
drivers you enabled and disable them. Disable as much as you can. that way
you can either blame or rule out a driver problem with your hardware.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org