upgrade - howto ?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Thu Mar 14 09:16:10 PST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 12:36:22PM +0100, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> Now LFS is rapidly being updated, so would I like to, too.
>
> - How to mirror the conglomeration directory ( a standard mirror perl
> script? )

You can use rsync if you want to, use the module "ftpsite" but you'll get
the entire FTP site mirrored  which is currenty around 422 MB.

Instead you should just look at the current CVS book's
chapter01/changelog.html file and only download those packages which were
updated.

> - How to upgrade a single package?

Use the book's installation instructions. There's no clean way of making
sure all files are overwritten, we're working on that (see lfs-dev list,
about 'self diagnostics script' That checklfs system can very easily be
expanded into a simple package manager).

>      Is it only to check the dependancies (upgrade these as well if
> necessary)

You'd be wise to. Dependencies do change sometimes.

>      and rebuild that package as has been done the last time in the
> LFS-book?

Always use the correct book. If your old book has instructions for an old
package, it doesn't mean that those same instructions apply for the new
package version. So do check with the latest LFS Book version to see what
you need to run to install your upgrade.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org