config.sub: missing argument

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmlx1.wlmcs.com
Thu Mar 14 04:42:56 PST 2002

Doc,

I don't know if this is related, but check the below.

On Wed, 13 Mar 2002, doc wrote:

> Hi,
>      I have found no evidece of dynamically linked files, and found that
><snip>

> Also, I've noticed at the end of the error notice, that it also prints:
>
> /usr/src/glibc-2.2.5/glibc: --enable-add-ons : command not found

The abive sounds like a good candidate for error. That line is not a
result of other glibc failures, I think. I think when you copy and pasted,
either the trailing backslash on the preceding line was omitted or an
extra space after the backslash was captured.

E.g. the preceding line s/b

    ../glibc-2.2.5/configure --prefix=/usr \

Now, what is not obvious is there _may_ be a space after the \, leading to
the interpreter not recognizing an escape of the newline (what the back-
slash is supposed to do), but an escape of the following space.

This will cause the next line to be treated as a command, not a parameter
and the resulting "...not found" message will be issued.

Assure the _last_ character on the line is \, not a space.

>      I think that it's only reporting that because the inital configure
> stage failed, and didn't know what to do with the 'switches' after the
> failed configure atempt. By the way, 'glibc' is the name of the script that

See above

> <snip>

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com