Weird problems, compiling/making

Curtis Haas WonderBoy5150 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 13 16:13:43 PST 2002

If I understand you correctly, all the scripts run individually by me. I
don't have one master script executing the others.
This is how I have it:
LFS-Chapter4_A (Creates the directory structure)
LFS-Chapter4_B (Unpacks the main tar package, then goes to work on the other
packages)
LFS-Chapter5 (Totally installs chapter5)
LFS-Chapter6_A (Creates the .bash_profile, then enters the chroot'ed
environment)
LFS-Chapter6_B (Installs Glibc)
LFS-Chapter6_C (Installs MAKEDEV through Bash)
LFS-Chapter6_D (Installs Flex all the way through Configuring Essential
Software)
LFS-Chapter7 (Totally sets up chapter7)
LFS-Chapter8_A (Creates fstab the way I need it)
LFS-Chapter8_B (Does the rest of the book, done)

If I knew more about scripting, I would have made just 1 script, it's just
that when I enter the chroot'ed env. and when glibc and bash are install,
the --login switch is given causing me to loose my previous env. and
anything that was running in that terminal before it.
I wouldn't think memory would be a problem here. The first couple times I
got LFS installed and working without a hitch, I was monitoring the
compiling/installing with 'gkrellm' running on my desktop.
And that is what amazed me about Linux in general.
I would watch the memory usage say:
128Meg Total
56M Used - 72M Free

Of course it fluctuated, but Free memory never dropped bellow 50M.
Swap space is setup like so:
Host Distributions has it's own on the same drive as the host software,
different partition: 256Meg
The LFS system has it's own on it's same drive as the LFS software,
different partition: 384Meg
(I have 2 hard drives)
One thing I was thinking on trying was adding some sort of "time delay"
before the installation of the programs that were causing me grief. One
thing I noticed (I think this is a KDE problem....slow) is that even thought
something said it was finished doing something, it really wasn't. Like 15
seconds, Whether it be a file to show up in a directory, or something. But I
could be seeing things...

I just woke up from a 5 hour nap after re-installing my Host distribution
and setting it up to have the correct software installed.
Right now, LFS-Chapter6_B is running (Un-Optimized).
So, if LFS installs OK this time, it HAD to be something screwy with my host
distro settings.

Can someone answer my other 2 questions:
Why does the 'echo' command not like this symbol ' (apostrophe)

And say I have a hint, how do I post it.
 It's for gdm (Gnome display manager) without having to installing all of
 gnome

Thanks.
Curtis

news:a6o0ts$e46$1 at shadowfax.linuxfromscratch.org...