Weird problems, compiling/making

Don Smith midio at att.net
Wed Mar 13 09:06:03 PST 2002

Some others here have had this problem. When you run your scripts, do
you have a upper level script that runs all your individual package
scripts? Apparently, on smaller systems, memeory usage just goes over
the limit when doing that so the big conglomeration script has failures
while rerunning them by hand individually works. Try increasing the size
of your swap space to 256MB.

--
Don
LFS# 734

P.S. sorry about losing the inclusion marks below, but my stupid MS
Outlook drops them when converting to text....

""Curtis Haas"" <WonderBoy5150 at hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:OE49hr90KYHuXzBW76c0000917b at hotmail.com...
3 month linux newbie here... LFS for 1 of those.
LFS version: 3.1
Glibc version: 2.2.4
System: Intel P200MHz MMX 128M RAM
Using the lfs-packages-3.1.tar from the site.

Has anyone else besides me noticed having problems when, say a program
fails to compile:
You remove the source tree for that program.
You re-extract the files for that program.
The "new and fresh" source tree is put in the same location as the
failed one.
You re-issue the same exact commands that you did before, yet this time
the program compiles and installs without error???

Here is what I have been playing around with.
I have 2 directories setup.
'Un-Optimized'
'Optimized'
Each of these folders contains "cheesy scripts" that I made to make the
installation process of LFS go quicker so I don't have to keep running
back to the machine 50 times or so.
With this information being said, why would what happened up above
happen? I would restart the script at the program it bombed on and would
work fine, and all I did was remove/re-extract the source tree.

At first I though it was the 'Optimized' "scripts" that was causing me
grief, but after re-partitioning and setting up a new file system then
using 'Un-Optimized' "scripts" it's doing the same thing.
These are the programs, in order, that are causing me grief:
(This is only in the Chapter6 programs)
GCC
Fileutils
Grep
Sh-utils
Tar
Textutils

For some reason in the back of my mind, the chroot env is "sprinkling"
the Host Distribution on my system with some saved settings or
something. All these scripts are doing is just one installation of a
program after another, all in order in the book.
The "scripts" are basically text files with '#!/bin/sh' header.....don't
laugh, I don't know programming :-(
I am going to try the 'Un-Optimized' scripts again, after I reinstall my
distribution, something might have gotten screwed up, but that doesn't
explain what I said up above.

In this January 2002 archive, this guy seems to have had the same
problems I am having, but with just gcc...
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002/01/06
09.html

I have screen shots of what the programs do. Sorry for not saving the
original text output, but I don't think the output or the screen shots
matter in my case. If any of you would like to take a look at my so
called "scripts" I can attach them in a reply.

2 more questions:
Why does the 'echo' command not like this symbol ' (apostrophe)

And say I have a hint, how do I post it.
It's for gdm (Gnome display manager) without having to installing all of
gnome

Thanks.
Curtis

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org