Weird problems, compiling/making

Curtis Haas WonderBoy5150 at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 13 06:57:48 PST 2002

3 month linux newbie here... LFS for 1 of those.
LFS version: 3.1
Glibc version: 2.2.4
System: Intel P200MHz MMX 128M RAM
Using the lfs-packages-3.1.tar from the site.

Has anyone else besides me noticed having problems when, say a program fails to compile:
You remove the source tree for that program.
You re-extract the files for that program.
The "new and fresh" source tree is put in the same location as the failed one.
You re-issue the same exact commands that you did before, yet this time the program compiles and installs without error???

Here is what I have been playing around with.
I have 2 directories setup.
'Un-Optimized'
'Optimized'
Each of these folders contains "cheesy scripts" that I made to make the installation process of LFS go quicker so I don't have to keep running back to the machine 50 times or so.
With this information being said, why would what happened up above happen? I would restart the script at the program it bombed on and would work fine, and all I did was remove/re-extract the source tree.

At first I though it was the 'Optimized' "scripts" that was causing me grief, but after re-partitioning and setting up a new file system then using 'Un-Optimized' "scripts" it's doing the same thing.
These are the programs, in order, that are causing me grief:
(This is only in the Chapter6 programs)
GCC
Fileutils
Grep
Sh-utils
Tar
Textutils

For some reason in the back of my mind, the chroot env is "sprinkling" the Host Distribution on my system with some saved settings or something. All these scripts are doing is just one installation of a program after another, all in order in the book.
The "scripts" are basically text files with '#!/bin/sh' header.....don't laugh, I don't know programming :-(
I am going to try the 'Un-Optimized' scripts again, after I reinstall my distribution, something might have gotten screwed up, but that doesn't explain what I said up above.

In this January 2002 archive, this guy seems to have had the same problems I am having, but with just gcc...
http://archive.linuxfromscratch.org/mail-archives/lfs-support/2002/01/0609.html

I have screen shots of what the programs do. Sorry for not saving the original text output, but I don't think the output or the screen shots matter in my case. If any of you would like to take a look at my so called "scripts" I can attach them in a reply.

2 more questions:
Why does the 'echo' command not like this symbol ' (apostrophe)

And say I have a hint, how do I post it.
It's for gdm (Gnome display manager) without having to installing all of gnome

Thanks.
Curtis