Glibc - swap is not my problem

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmlx1.wlmcs.com
Tue Mar 12 15:06:15 PST 2002

'Preciate the info.

I always proceed carefully, esp. when I'm trying to work in
conjunction with a project like LFS. But unless I can find
some cheap mem for that old box, I might have to take the
approach that "once it's converted, it's _converted_". In
that case, I could reasonably apply some "out-of-band" stuff
with worying about polluting my efforts relating to on-going
LFS.

Purely to make it more desirable to do daily mundane things
on it.

On Tue, 12 Mar 2002, Ken Moffat wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:
>
> > Ken,
> >
> > I noted your "... vanilla VM..." reference. What are you using?
> ><snip>

> Well, Bill, the jury is still out on this one, but I have every confidence
> in this. It's Rik (van Riel)'s reverse-mapping VM. If I remember
> <snip>

> is that low-latency isn't as responsive as the preempt-kernel patches, but
> people I respect, such as ac, have warned of possible problems with
> preempt.
>
> I'm starting to think about converting a 24Mb laptop of mine one of these
> days (once I learn how to build current LFS properly). I'm dubious whether
> it will have enough power to run 2.4 kernels, so good luck with 32Mb.

Well, if my semi-auto works on the 32MB, you're welcome to try it on 24MB.
A little hyper-stress test - for the _machine_, the _machine_.

> Ken
> <snip>

Thanks again,

Bill Maltby,