Glibc - swap is not my problem

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 12 12:52:14 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Bill Maltby LFS Related wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I noted your "... vanilla VM..." reference. What are you using?
> And where can I get it? My guess is my 32MB might benefit mightly
> from this when I convert from RH 6.0 on that machine.
>
> Bill Maltby
> billm at wlmcs.com

Well, Bill, the jury is still out on this one, but I have every confidence
in this. It's Rik (van Riel)'s reverse-mapping VM. If I remember
correctly, you can download it from http://www.surriel.com. I'm using
the combined patch-set from Jussi Laako. I can't find the exact url
immediately, but if you search for 2.4.17-jl15 on Google it should take
you to the page. It's something like http://www.pp.song.fi/visitor/linux.
There are descriptions of the main components on the page. The main bits
are the IDE patch, a new scheduler, rmap, and low-latency.  My gut feeling
is that low-latency isn't as responsive as the preempt-kernel patches, but
people I respect, such as ac, have warned of possible problems with
preempt.

I'm starting to think about converting a 24Mb laptop of mine one of these
days (once I learn how to build current LFS properly). I'm dubious whether
it will have enough power to run 2.4 kernels, so good luck with 32Mb.

Ken

--
pppg_penguin.linux.bogus 2.4.17-jl15-ll 2011.95 BogoMIPS

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org