config.sub: missing argument

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 12 13:19:56 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, doc wrote:

> When trying to build glibc after chroot'ing to new LFS environment, I get
> this error:
> Checking host system type... config.sub: missing argument
>
> *** The GNU C libary is currently not available for this platform.
>
> And then tells me that it has not been ported yet. I know now that it does
> support my CPU, a Duron 600, but only when I specify it to be an Intel chip.
> I've read the optimization hint, and the install readme for glibc, and tried
> to set both the CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS varables to "-mcpu=i686", and
> specified --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu in the configure commands, but that
> doesn't make a difference. I am using LFS book and pack version 3.2 rc2 and
> my host system is Turbolinux 6.1.
>
> I realize that I have posted with this problem before, but I was not
> subscribed then, and got no replies (sorry...), so now I am subscribed, and
> would love a hint as to what I should do.
>
> Thankyou for your time.
> doc256 at bigpond.com

Well, you'll see I'm as error-prone as the next chimp in these parts, but
I got somewhat similar configure problems when I forgot to install the
kernel headers (in the keep-ch05-and-ch06 separate hint, it comes after
chapter 5, and I forgot to add it when I reverted to doing it by the
book).

BTW, if I understand gcc correctly, you probably want -march=i686 rather
than -mcpu, but it probably doesn't make any real difference.

Ken
--
pppg_penguin.linux.bogus 2.4.17-jl15-ll 2011.95 BogoMIPS

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org