glibc-2.2.5 install problems (lfs-3.2)

Ken Moffat ken at kenmoffat.uklinux.net
Tue Mar 12 11:53:04 PST 2002

On Mon, 11 Mar 2002, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 07:52:32PM +0000, Ken Moffat wrote:
> > Further details, I'm afraid :
>
> <cut>
>
> Try reinstalling the texinfo package in chapter 5.
>
> That's all I can suggest right now without being able to reproduce the
> problem.
>
> Here's a last idea: create a tarball of your glibc-2.2.5 and glibc-build
> directories and upload them somewhere, send us the URL. I'll download it
> and try to build it from where it aborted on your end. If it doesn't abort
> then on my end it most likely means something you build from chapter 5
> isn't working properly. If it aborts here as well I'll diff it against a
> working Glibc build here, perhaps I can find something useful.

Umm, thanks for the offer, Gerard, but I guess it would be bigger than my
webspace, and take maybe 4 hours for me to upload (dial-up modem - uploads
are about a quarter the speed of downloads, aren't they ?).

I've already reinstalled texinfo, to see if v4.1 would help. Looking at
the reference to this problem in the LFS archive, it went away on a
rebuild. This suggests strongly that I'm copying a command wrongly (all
done by hand, none of your cut and paste here ;-)

The good thing about scripting my chapter 5 is that it should be
repeatable. The bad thing is that until I find the error it _will_ repeat.
No, my next step is to go through my scripts slowly with the proverbial
fine-toothed comb to compare them to the book. If that doesn't turn up
anything, I'll compile a vanilla kernel and retry chapter 5 (in answer to
your next mail).

And I agree that the kernel could be the problem, because I could never
get gcc-2.95.3 to compile on the same box when it was running something
like 2.4.7-ac, but 2.4.8 was fine. Rather begs the question of how much I
need to test to satisfy myself that either LFS or a kernel is ok ?

Now, please excuse me while I find my magnifying glass...

Ken

--
pppg_penguin.linux.bogus 2.4.17-jl15-ll 2011.95 BogoMIPS

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org