Best recomended host distro?

Bram Marien bram.marien at pandora.be
Tue Mar 12 08:38:42 PST 2002

On Monday 11 March 2002 16:40, you wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 Mar 2002 2:07 am, you wrote:
> > There wouldn't happen to be a distro where you can install off of one
> > floppy and obtain the rest of the packages over a network by FTP,
> > HTTP...... A couple extra floppies is ok.
>
> RedHat can do that. You need to dd the bootnet.img image from the images/
> subdirectory to a floppy and have a supported ethernet card (Realtek 8139
> cards are cheap and reliable, I find).
>
> Installs over HTTP, FTP or NFS.

I once experienced some problems while building an lfs system with red hat as
host.  This might be because Red Hat uses the Gcc-2.96 compiler (sligthly
adapted), and perhaps that compiler causes bad objectcode, i don't know ....
Therefor I use the slackware distro, which uses the 2.95.3 compiler, the good
one.

Bram
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org