login prompt/addendum

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Tue Mar 12 02:22:17 PST 2002

On Tuesday 12 March 2002 02:58, Ira Mendell wrote:
> We were wondering is it possible that there was a problem when I
> installed either the bootscripts and or bash and I didn't notice. Is
> it advisable to recompile one or the other or both.  If so do you
> recommend doing so as chroot or within the new system. My son says
> that I would also have to recompile the kernel afterwards.  Is he
> correct.

I think there's just an incompatibility with RH's login files and LFS.
Maybe they source a file which sets the hostname. If this file isn't
available on LFS, you'd get that error. It's better (more LFS ;) to
create your own login files. Check man bash and the
configuration-howto, these contain all the info you should need. You
can use the RH login files as templates, but it really helps if you
understand what's in them in order to use them.
Anyway, there's no need to recompile bash or the kernel in any event.
Hope this helps enough to get you going,

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org