Can't put lilo on slave drive...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 11 14:20:38 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 11, 2002 at 05:18:30PM -0500, John McGinn wrote:
> What I did was, log into my LFS system, while it's slave to the RH drive,
> and tried to run the lilo app. (I figured the lilo for my RH5.2 system was
> too old. Not sure if that's true or not.) When I do that, it gives me a
> warning saying, 'Warning: /dev/hdb is not the first disk.' (Or something

It's just a warning letting you know it's not being written to the MBR of
the first disk, thus if your first disk does not have an MBR setup, your
BIOS won't be able to boot this system in it's present state (BIOS'es
generally don't look at the MBR of non-first disks).

Try to swap the harddrives now, lilo may be written properly and bootable
now.

If not, switch to Grub. Lilo is sometimes very very picky and nasty about
these MBR things, geometry changes, and so on. Grub is more versatile.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org