Glibc-2.2.5 compile error in chapter 6 of LFS 3.2

Don Smith midio at att.net
Mon Mar 11 10:50:12 PST 2002

"Bill Maltby LFS Related" <lfsbill at wlmlx1.wlmcs.com> wrote in message
news:Pine.LNX.4.10.10203111226320.892-100000 at wlmlx1.wlmcs.com...
> Don,
>
> Both machines have "adequate" swap. The "biggie" has two swaps -
> 1 of 128MB and the secondary of 132MB. But, I never saw "excessive"
> use of these. I began to wonder if it was being effectivey used.
> What I saw, in retrospect, was signs of thrashing. _Very_ slow
> (1 day install time before "unoptimizing") on the "biggie" machine.
> After my umm... corrections, install was about 10 hours. Since I
> saw performance improvement in conjunction with reliable operation
> when I reduced memory requirements, I deduced kernel 2.2 swap
(actually
> paging) was not very good and it probably was thrashing. With all
> i18n being done, it would sit for hours on the last two or three
> files in glibc install.

Yes, your install time is limited by you disk speed. I have
approximately the same times on a somewhat slower processor. 92% idle
during heavy swapping, er.. paging.

> The little machine has 64MB of swap. I still have'nt got this one
> completely through. The gcc install is dying with interrupt 11.
>
> But I am tenacious.
>
> Bill Maltby
> billm at wlmcs.com

32+64MB may not be enough. I was compiling a package that uses templates
extensively and the compiles would take ~90MB (and *way* too many hours)
all by themselves. With everything else thrown in, memory usage
approached 128MB. Does glibc have any templates in it? (I doubt it but
you never know...)

Don

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org