Problems compiling Binutils 2.11.2

jrok jrok jr0k at hotmail.com
Mon Mar 11 09:34:32 PST 2002

Hello,

I'm using the 3.2 version of the book to create my lfs system on a pentium
133 MHz computer, running redhat 7.2 as my host distribution.  When I
attempt to install binutils-2.11.2 on the lfs system I receive the following
list of errors:

libtool: link: `syms.lo' is not a valid libtool object
make[3]: *** [libbfd.la] Error 1
make[3]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.2/binutils-build/bfd'
make[2]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.2/binutils-build/bfd'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/mnt/lfs/usr/src/lfs-packages-3.2/binutils-build/bfd'
make: *** [all-bfd] Error 2

I'm relatively new to linux so I'm not sure if Binutils even installed or
not.  If it did install, are these errors cause for alarm?  How do I fix it
so that Binutils will install without these errors?

Thanks,
John