Fdisk Q?

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Sat Mar 9 15:22:21 PST 2002

On Saturday 09 March 2002 02:38 pm, Richard Jenniss wrote:
> I'd like to change hda5 to hda1
> but I don't want to loose hda 6, 7 and 8
>
> How do I do this?

This assumes you can boot from another drive.  If you don't have
one, get one.  They are great for backup.

First, back up anything you can't afford to lose, including all
of hda5.

Then, make sure someone else in the list agrees with me.  :-)

Then run fdisk, display the current allocations, and write down the
starting cylinder and number of cylinders in each partition.  Then
double-check to make sure you got it right.

Then (still in fdisk) delete all the partitions on the drive, and
add them back again the way you want.  BUT, make sure that what
used to be hda6/7/8 are still inside an extended partition, and
have exactly the same cylinder allocations as before.

You'll need to reformat your new hda1 and (if desired) restore it
from your old hda5 backup.

Also you'll have to make appropriate changes in /etc/fstab of any
bootable partitions.

Have fun,

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/