Shutdown error. (was Re: test)

Richard Jenniss RichardJenniss at TelusPlanet.net
Sat Mar 9 14:01:56 PST 2002

I followed your sugestion, but now I have a different error.?!?
bash-2.05a# shutdown -r now

Broadcast message from root (ttyp0) (Sat Mar  9 09:51:21 2002):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl

I'm guessing its a bad permission

bash-2.05a# ls -al initctl
pr--------    1 root     root            0 Mar  9 06:13 initctl

temporarily, I chmoded it to 777 and tried to shutdown once again.
I believe this is my previous error. Hmm, I don't know.
bash-2.05a# shutdown -r now

Broadcast message from root (ttyp0) (Sat Mar  9 09:53:41 2002):

The system is going down for reboot NOW!
init: timeout opening/writing control channel /dev/initctl
bash-2.05a#

Hmm, I guess I should describe my environment.
I installed debian to /dev/hdc5 (around 500MB)
I have LFS on hda
hda5 /boot
hda6 (swap 128 MB)
hda7 /root
hda8 /usr (1.5gig)
/proc (mounted)

I am trying to shutdown from SSH that I have installed on LFS.
If I login through telnet (which runs of debians root) it shutdowns fine.
when I chroot it doesn't shutdown under telnet.

I'm in the process of making my LFS system bootable to isolate that problem.
Thx for your help!
Richard.