About MAKEDEV and devfs

Henning Rohde Rohde.Henning at gmx.net
Sat Mar 9 11:05:07 PST 2002

Hi Daniel,
hi everybody else,

Daniel Savard wrote:
> If planning to use the experimental devfs filesystem with the kernel,
> is it still required to run the MAKEDEV script to make all the special
> device files?

hmm, like Rod pointed out, you won't need MAKEDEV creating the _whole_
_lot_ of dev-files, but, depending on your plan to setup your devices,
it could be important to create at least _some_ devices:

According to Richard Gooch's hint about preserving permissions
(http://www.atnf.csiro.au/~rgooch/linux/docs/devfs.html#persistence)
I do the mounting of devfs via some bootscript.
The downside of this is, that there is no /dev/console and no
/dev/null, the first is needed by the kernel for starting /sbin/init,
the latter is needed by the current bootscripts.

So, please create:
# mknod /dev/null c 1 3
# mknod /dev/console c 5 1

Just my two cents of EUR,

        Henning

BTW: if you intend to follow that hint, you might consider to rename
the '/dev-state'-directory to '/.dev-state', so it won't confuse you
any more.

--
"Disable Active Scripting and never turn it on. Better, do not use IE
in hostile environments such as the internet."
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org