stuck on chroot

Bill Maltby LFS Related lfsbill at wlmlx1.wlmcs.com
Sat Mar 9 07:37:20 PST 2002

Minor, but yes. Printenv is an external binary. Export, set, readonly,
etc. are bash builtins. So, less overhead, flexibility, etc. But the
_significant_ difference is from the man page and execution results,
I can't tell which are exported. Exportation _is_ important in that
_by_default_, non-exported variables are _not_ passed to
subshells/commands.

So, if you have a construct like

    cd /mnt/hdc2;LFS=`pwd`
    <some_command>

LFS will _not_ be seen (or rather will be seen a LFS='', the
equivalent, sort of, of "unset LFS").

The most common way to assure that _all_ commands and subshells
see the needed vraiable's values is to export them. IIRC, the
book explicitly shows this being exported.

In my example, it would be

    cd /mnt/hdc2;export LFS=`pwd`
    <some_command>

     - -  O R   - -

    cd /mnt/hdc2;LFS=`pwd`;export LFS
    <some_command>

There are also a couple of other clues to this behaviour in the book.
IIRC, something like

     VARA="abcd" <some_command>

This does a "temporary" or "localized" export, assigning the value
and then passing the variable as part of the environment, which is
different than passing argumanets.

Well, I hope it's something as simple as this.

Bill Maltby
billm at wlmcs.com