partitioning & 1024 cylinder limit

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 8 20:39:05 PST 2002

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 10:30:13PM -0600, Dennis wrote:
> I am interested in trying LFS, but before I start partitioning, please
> clarify: Can $LFS be located anywhere on a hard disk?

With LFS you install lilo-22.1 (or 22.2 if you use the CVS version of LFS
rather than the 3.2 version). This lilo version doens't suffer from that
1024 cyliner boundary where the boot partition should be under that 1024th
cylinder.

> My SuSE Linux 6.4 manual stated "If you plan to start Linux directly

<snip>

Suse 6.4 uses an old Lilo that does have that problem yes. For safety, the
LFS has you update your host distribution (suse in your case) lilo (or grub
which is becoming more and more widely used these days with newer
distributions) to start LFS (running lilo inside chroot does not always
work properly). So what you may want to do is first upgrade Suse's lilo.
You should be able to just download a newer lilo version, compile from
source and install it on your Suse, overwriting the old version. Do make a
boot disk just in case it doesn't work.

When you do that you can install LFS anywhere you want without having to
worry about those cylindric boundaries.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org