partitioning & 1024 cylinder limit

Dennis w32 at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 8 20:30:13 PST 2002

I am interested in trying LFS, but before I start partitioning, please
clarify: Can $LFS be located anywhere on a hard disk?

My SuSE Linux 6.4 manual stated "If you plan to start Linux directly
from the hard drive, you will need a Linux partition below the '1024
cylinder limit' as a boot partition," apparently because of BIOS
limitations. I dutifully used three partitions for SuSE 6.4: a minuscule
primary Linux partition (mount point /boot) below said limit, a logical
partition for the swap file, and the rest of SuSE 6.4 (mount point /) in
a separate primary partition at the top of the disk. Lilo, for the
record, went in the MBR.

Reading the SuSE Linux 6.4 manual again, it seems possible that only
Lilo, not /boot, must be below this limit, (and perhaps BIOS has
improved?).

I have room for LFS in an extended partition above the "1024 cylinder
limit". And if I was overly cautious when installing SuSE 6.4, I might
prefer to move things around and put LFS in its own primary partition.
Please just confirm (or deny) that /boot can be anywhere on the hard
disk without causing boot problems.

-Dennis.

P.S. I haven't yet subscribed to mailing lists, using news server to
access.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org