Grub instead of LILO

ira mendell ibm at bestweb.net
Fri Mar 8 11:43:36 PST 2002

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 01:47:21PM -0500, Ira Mendell wrote:
> > Thank you for the advice.  You know this is the 3rd attempt at this.  I
> > started with 3.1 then 3.2rc1. Kept getting errors.   Now I'm trying 3.2rc2.
> > So far everything is installing fine as far as I can tell.  No errors that
> > have stopped the process.  I'm hoping for the best.   Thanks again.
>
> why don't you get lfs-3.2 that was released yesterday. May as well continue
> with that one. The two changes that you need to worry about are:
>
> 1) new make installation instructions in chapter 6 that remove the setgid
> big from /usr/bin/make
>
> 2) new bootscript package
>
> The other changes were made in chapter 5 and lower, so they don't concern
> you really.
>
> --
> Gerard Beekmans
> www.linuxfromscratch.org

> --

Very good I will go look for this right now.  Thank you.

One other thing concerning Grub though.  I just downloaded grub-0.91.tar.gz  If
I use the generic install instructions by default 'make install' will install
files to '/usr/local/bin', '/usr/local/man', etc.
      The grub lfs hint suggests a different approach adding '--prefix=/usr' to
./configure and adding 'mkdir /boot/grub' then 'cp /usr/share/grub..../stage1
(and stage2) to /boot/grub.
   This apears to be similar to Redhat 7.2.   I'm temped to go for the "hints"
approach.  Any suggestions?
                          Ira

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org