_very_ old box

Sanctus Evanidus evanidus at videotron.ca
Fri Mar 8 10:43:22 PST 2002

Jeroen Coumans <jeroencoumans at gmx.net> wrote:

> On Friday 08 March 2002 10:29, çÒÁÄ wrote:
> > Is it possible to build an LFS system on 386/4Mb RAM/12Mb HDD? This
> > is a very old notebook, so it has only floppy drive installed :) I've
> > been trying to make PicoBSD working on it, but I couldn't manage that
> >
> > :( Perhaps LFS is the solution?
>
> While it would be very difficult to actually build LFS on that notebook,
> it's certainly possible to build a LFS system which should work on your
> machine. You'll need a build-machine and the cross-compiling hint which
> you can download from the hints-section at www.linuxfromscratch.org.
> Take a look at the lfs-support and blfs-support mailinglist and search
> for minimal lfs - this should give you some clues on how to build your
> target system. Also be aware that you'll probably need an older kernel
> (2.0.xx), since recent kernels need more memory. Also consider
> light-weight replacements of glibc (like dietlibc or uglibc -search
> freshmeat.net for URLs) and perhaps assembly tools.
> Hope this is enough information to get you started.

Just a small correction (or else he won't find it) it is uClibc (not uglibc)

Note: uClibc is a replacement to glibc and "attempt" to do the most important
things glibc do without needing to update programs source that work with glibc.
dietlibc is much smaller and is missing functions that many programs use.
Basicaly, for dietlibc, you better use programs that suggest you use it.
(in these case, you'll get nice very small static apps. For example, be sure
to use fgetty instead of agetty ;p)

You may also want to look at other things such as busybox.. (on the dietlibc
web site (search freshmeat) there is various link to small apps/libraries
projects so it is a good place to start.

Good luck.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org