_very_ old box

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at gmx.net
Fri Mar 8 05:06:51 PST 2002

On Friday 08 March 2002 10:29, Град wrote:
> Is it possible to build an LFS system on 386/4Mb RAM/12Mb HDD? This
> is a very old notebook, so it has only floppy drive installed :) I've
> been trying to make PicoBSD working on it, but I couldn't manage that
>
> :( Perhaps LFS is the solution?

While it would be very difficult to actually build LFS on that notebook,
it's certainly possible to build a LFS system which should work on your
machine. You'll need a build-machine and the cross-compiling hint which
you can download from the hints-section at www.linuxfromscratch.org.
Take a look at the lfs-support and blfs-support mailinglist and search
for minimal lfs - this should give you some clues on how to build your
target system. Also be aware that you'll probably need an older kernel
(2.0.xx), since recent kernels need more memory. Also consider
light-weight replacements of glibc (like dietlibc or uglibc -search
freshmeat.net for URLs) and perhaps assembly tools.
Hope this is enough information to get you started.

--
Groeten/Greetings,
Jeroen Coumans
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org