rcS vs rc.sysinit and a question about kerneld

Don Smith midio at att.net
Wed Mar 6 15:53:28 PST 2002

"Eric LAGALISSE" <BackDoor at wanadoo.fr> wrote in message
news:Xns91C9E8CC76230BackDoorwanadoofr at 198.186.203.81...

<snip>

> Of course i enabled modules & auto-loading but ... my ethernet card
still
> need a /etc/modules.conf and inside of it an entry eth0 tulip to work
at
> startup so that's why i tried to use kerneld. Did i forgot something ?

No, the modutils are still useable and you still need a way to associate
the driver with the interface. Also, a new daemon implemented as a
kernel thread has been added to 2.4. It makes a call to modprobe,
believe it or not. Check out this link:

http://www.linuxdoc.org/LDP/lki/lki-2.html#ss2.15

--
Don