rcS vs rc.sysinit and a question about kerneld

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 6 14:18:15 PST 2002

On Wed, Mar 06, 2002 at 09:04:22PM +0000, Eric LAGALISSE wrote:
> Why lfs use rcS (debian ?) instead of rc.sysinit (SysVinit !) ?

LFS doesn't use either right now (check the current CVS version of the
book). If you look at both the rc and old rcS script you'll see that they
do pretty much the exact same thing. So it was changed that the 'rc' script
now also does the sysinit stuff by using the /etc/rc.d/rcsysinit.d
directory.

There isn't any official file naming scheme regarding Sysvinit. If you look at
every system that uses the SysV setup, you'll see that everybody has a different
way of doing it. The reason I changed from rcS to rc.sysinit is that it makes more
sense. Pretty much the only thing that make something SysV is using
symbolic links in runlevel directories that point to the real files in some
kind of init.d directory. How you name the files doesn't matter one bit.

> I'm asking that because i was trying to insert kerneld startup in my brand
> new lfs box that didn't start it automatically ;-)
> Why lfs-book suggest to install modutils if we didn't launch kerneld ?
> I now lfs allow us to build our own linux box but i think also that modules
> are a great things for all of us .... not so easy to configure if kerneld
> isn't started. Maybe i'm wrong.

Somebody already pointed out kerneld is obsolete, that the 2.4 kernels have
something differnet to accomplish the same: automatic loading of modules.
But, even if you don't enable automatic module loading, you still can use
the programs from modutils to manually load modules. Not everybody likes
the kernel loading modules whenever it needs it. Sometimes you just want to
load certain modules yourself. That's what modutils is for too.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org