Can't chroot to new LFS!

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 6 11:29:17 PST 2002

On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 03:40:07PM +1100, doc wrote:
>    i am trying to build a LFS system, and i have ran into a problem. I'm upto the part where i need to chroot into the new, staticly linked, LFS partition, but there is no /usr/bin/env to speak of. Not on my first linux, or the new LFS one. Can i simply create the dir? or is there supposed to be something in there? or, perhaps, have i stuffed up somewhere and deleted or overwitten something because now my bash promt looks different, and i can't start xfree86 any more on my first linux. I am running TurboLinux 6.1, kernel 2.2.16, glibc 2.1 and now working from bash. I had to turn off my computer between creating the new bash_profile and chroot'ing to new LFS system. Most likely overwrote my bash_profile on the first linux somehow, but what about /usr/bin/env ? can i just create the directory? if so then do i need it on both, or only the host linux, as there is none on iether.

/usr/bin/env is a file, and in the chroot command it's refering to
$LFS/usr/bin/env and not /usr/bin/env from TurboLinux. Check if you have
that file, it's installed from the sh-utils package in chapter 5.

It also sounds like you may have overwritten some of your Turbolinux files.
Perhaps you made a typo when you typed $LFS. Perhaps $LFS wasn't set (so it
would be ignored and files will be installed on Turbolinux instead).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org