Possible error in chapter 6 bzip2 instructions

Marc Heerdink marc at koelkast.net
Wed Mar 6 08:44:42 PST 2002

Op wo 06-03-2002, om 14:14 schreef wsheldahl at qx.net:
[..]
> Now the details that might make the problem unique to me. I'm using
> book version 3.2rc1 because that was the current version when I
> started. I checked 3.2rc2 and the cvs book last night, and they both had
> the same instruction in place. I'm also using the "keep chapters 5 and 6
> separate" hint

There we have the problem. The book assumes that the static bzip2 was
installed into /, not into /static. The file you were missing is in
/static/usr/lib, but you don't need to delete it because /static is
entirely deleted after the LFS build.

> and installing stuff in the order it suggests, instead of the
> book's order. Finally, any time there's a long set of instructions like this, I
> usually put them in a file called "script" with the line "#!/bin/bash" at the
> top, and run it by typing `bash script` at the command prompt. When I
> got it to run successfully, I did so by just commenting out the offending
> line. Saves lots of typing.
>
> Like I said, I was able to work past the problem; I just wanted to see if
> the book was in error, this was a freak occurrence on my system or if
> my system is still slightly messed up and I just don't know it yet (though I
> doubt this). This is my first LFS; I'm doing it on a P90, and only for an
> hour or two each evening, so it will be a while yet before I finish the
> book.

This is not a problem in the book, because the book doesn't assume the
keep..seperate hint is used. When we implement the hint in the book
(after 3.2-final is out, it will be the major change for LFS 4.0) the
installation instructions will be adapted to the new situation.

--
"Mooh!"
- A Cow.

Marc Heerdink <marc at koelkast.net>