Clarify '/usr/src subdirectory'

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Wed Mar 6 02:41:41 PST 2002

On Tue, 5 Mar 2002 21:18:03 -0800 David McCabe <davidmccabe at mac.com>
wrote:

> Therefore, I would like to clarify that I should *not* put my tarballs
> and sources directly in /usr/src,  but in any given subdirectory
> thereof. Is this correct?

It doesn't matter at all where you put your tarballs. You can put them all
into /bin if you like. It would be stupid but it would work. When you
unpack a tarball it creates a subdirectory. You enter this subdirectory
and execute the building instructions from there. So you never ever have
to create a subdirectory by yourself. The LFS instructions merely suggest
using /usr/src/<letter> subdirectories.

E.g. (assuming all tarballs are in /tmp/download and you want to build in
/lfs/usr/src)

cd /lfs/usr/src
tar xIf /tmp/download/grep-2.4.2.tar.bz2
cd grep-2.4.2
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install