Compiling in chapter 6 doesn't work

MJ POLLARD MJ 12322741 at puknet.puk.ac.za
Tue Mar 5 23:46:39 PST 2002

Ok, here's what i did, and it worked ;)

unpack glibc-2.2.4
patch it
cd to the scripts directory and chmod 0755 all of them
on the lfs-support mailinglist i came accros a patch somebody wrote to fix some (i think) documentation issue. It was in this year, go look for it
apply this patch and compile according to book ;)

Thinus

Op di 05-03-2002, om 12:30 schreef S÷nke Tesch:
> Marc Heerdink wrote:
> : Op zo 03-03-2002, om 14:16 schreef S÷nke Tesch:
> : [..]
> :> It's an LFS 3.1 with the exception that I have patched glibc from 2.2.4 to .5,
> :> all packages in chapter 5 have been compiled using the above mentioned options.
>
> : You did read the patch headers, right? IIRC, something has to be done
> : after patching glibc ;)
>
> Sorry, which patch headers? Since I first didn't know how to apply that diff
> file I did in fact look for some instructions on the glibc-pages, in the diff
> file and also asked Google, which finally the told me to use patch.
>
> I only have the *.diff-file, and that one starts directly with the changes to
> apply to ChangeLog. No other readme's in sight that seem to contain special
> instructions for this update.
>
> Would be nice if you could give me a hint on what else I have to do to avoid
> downloading glibc as a whole again. After all, that's what the diff file
> exists for :)

Honestly, I wouldn't know. I just downloaded the full glibc 2.2.5
tarball when it came out, but I've seen some messages on this
mailinglist that some things had to be done after patching, described in
the first section of the patch file. To check it, I downloaded the
patch. No information there, as you noticed. Then I downloaded the glibc
2.2.4 tarball, extracted it, patched it with the patch and extracted
glibc 2.2.5 somewhere else. Running diff -urN between the two dirs
showed that only some binary translation files differ, which might
exactly be the problem. These files can't be regenerated without gettext
and perl, none of which is installed when we get to glibc in chapter 6.
To make everything work, I guess you'll have to compile these
translations files yourself outside the source tree. How? I wouldn't
know :) I guess the manpage for msgfmt will teach ya...

--
"Mooh!"
- A Cow.

Marc Heerdink <marc at koelkast.net>