User migration

Bill Williamson batkiwi at happychinchilla.com
Mon Mar 4 12:43:33 PST 2002

I'm currently on slackware8.1, moving (slowly, the past 2 months, ha!) to
lfs 3.1/3.2/etc (mostly 3.1 but with newer kernel/glibc/etc).

I know that for most distro's I could just copy my users from my old passwd
and shadow and into the new one, since the pw hash is 1 way.

However, slackware does something different (i had to set some special flags
when I installed ssh/etc) than normal... will I be able to do this, or will
I have to readd my users and have them set their passwords again?

I'd like this to be as seamless as possible for them.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org