swap usage

J x linuxmail13 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 11:49:45 PST 2002

 --- Gerard Beekmans <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org>
wrote:
> If you;re not using your system to do anything else
> (say running X, running
> some heavy apps like KDE, Mozilla and so on) then
> it's very possible to use
> less than 256 of ram when compiling LFS.
>
> I've done it on a 128 MB machine with only 100 MB
> swap and only 50 MB or so
> of the swap was being used at any given time.

What's got me wondering is that it _can_ use 500MB+ to
build LFS. That's what is used when I build on the box
with 512MB. Both boxes show the same thing, about 3-12
megs free all the time. Since it will use the physical
memory if it's there, why won't it use the swap? Is it
that the memory it's using is refreshed so fast as to
make swapping inefficient?