swap usage

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Mar 4 11:08:17 PST 2002

On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 07:05:09PM +0000, J x wrote:
> I don't know if this is the right list or not, but
> awhile back I asked about turning off swap on a 1.2Ghz
> Athlon with 512 MB ram. I asked because I wasn't using
> all the memory when building LFS, but now I'm building
> on a laptop with a 650 Mhz PIII and 256 MB ram. I've
> got a swap partition of 512 MB at priority 1 and it's
> not being used. I know full well that building LFS can
> take 500 MB of ram as my Athlon did, so why is the
> swap (in both boxes) not being utilized?

If you;re not using your system to do anything else (say running X, running
some heavy apps like KDE, Mozilla and so on) then it's very possible to use
less than 256 of ram when compiling LFS.

I've done it on a 128 MB machine with only 100 MB swap and only 50 MB or so
of the swap was being used at any given time.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org