swap usage

J x linuxmail13 at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Mar 4 11:05:09 PST 2002

I don't know if this is the right list or not, but
awhile back I asked about turning off swap on a 1.2Ghz
Athlon with 512 MB ram. I asked because I wasn't using
all the memory when building LFS, but now I'm building
on a laptop with a 650 Mhz PIII and 256 MB ram. I've
got a swap partition of 512 MB at priority 1 and it's
not being used. I know full well that building LFS can
take 500 MB of ram as my Athlon did, so why is the
swap (in both boxes) not being utilized?