BUG: single option -> a root console

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sat Mar 2 08:43:51 PST 2002

On Sat, Mar 02, 2002 at 11:46:26AM +0100, Hans-Christian Armingeon wrote:
> Now it works as I want. Thank you. But when I want a normal startup from single, I have to press ctrl-d a few time until the message "respawning too fast" comes, and then the system boots up normally.

Hm that's not great either.

Okay what you could do is split up the line from /etc/inittab containing:
	su:S016:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

into something like this:

	s1:016:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
	s2:S:once:/sbin/sulogin

that way, when you boot like "LILO: lfskernel single" it'll only run that
sulogin once, then when you hit ctrl+d to exit the sulogin spawned shell,
init won't restart sulogin and instead continue. But if you change to
runlevel 0, 1 or 6, sulogin will respawn in case you exit it. sulogin
shouldn't even be started in runlevel 0 and 6, it's just a fallthrough in
case the init.d/reboot or init.d/halt scripts didn't work. You get a shell
then to fix things and re-try a proper reboot.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org