Any way around static curses need in chapter 5?

William L. Maltby billm at wlmlx0.wlmcs.com
Fri Mar 1 17:02:02 PST 2002

Hi folks,

I'm hopeful, but not optimistic.

I was successful in getting my semi-automated LFS to install
on my RH 6.2. So I thought I would shoot two directions at once.
That machine is now doing my _first_ LFS-based LFS semi-auto
install.  :)  I started another test on my RH 6.0 to try and make
the stuff useful for slightly older setups too. Unfortunately,
I discovered that only .so versions of the ncurses stuff comes
installed. So I tried removing --with-curses for the bash. It
went just fine. But I knew it was to good to be true.

I'm aware of waht the book says, but it was a shot in the dark.

Texinfo croaks on me. I'm hoping that there is a way around
this. I _think_ it's due to the lack of static curses.

I took a quick gander at the config/make and other things with
which I'm not familiar and decided the near-term intelligent
approach was to call on the collective "superman". There are
some config.h things related to curses/termcap .h availability,
but I don't have high confidence I can tweak and have success in
a reasonable time-frame, if at all.

What I'm hoping is that there is a switch, "feature" that
can be dis/enabled or whatnot that will allow these last two
steps in chapter 5 to complete and let chapter 6 work - where the
problem should disappear. This will allow older boxes to _not_
have to go get another package.

Thanks for any help,

Bill Maltby,
billm at wlmcs.com

gcc  -g -O2 -static -o ginfo  dir.o display.o dribble.o echo-area.o filesys.o footnotes.o gc.o \
indices.o info-utils.o info.o infodoc.o infomap.o m-x.o man.o nodemenu.o nodes.o search.o \
session.o signals.o terminal.o tilde.o variables.o window.o doc.o ../lib/libtxi.a
terminal.o: In function `terminal_begin_using_terminal':
/mnt/hdc2/usr/src/texinfo-4.0/info/terminal.c:141: undefined reference to `tputs'
/mnt/hdc2/usr/src/texinfo-4.0/info/terminal.c:150: undefined reference to `tputs'
<snip>

more of the same ...

/mnt/hdc2/usr/src/texinfo-4.0/info/terminal.c:639: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
/mnt/hdc2/usr/src/texinfo-4.0/info/terminal.c:640: undefined reference to `tgetstr'
terminal.o:/mnt/hdc2/usr/src/texinfo-4.0/info/terminal.c:641: more undefined references to `tgetstr' follow
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[2]: *** [ginfo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hdc2/usr/src/texinfo-4.0/info'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/mnt/hdc2/usr/src/texinfo-4.0'
make: *** [all-recursive-am] Error 2

/* Below is message out of my process. */
Error. Bad exit from texinfo. Exiting script code 2.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org