BUG: single option -> a root console

Hans-Christian Armingeon linux.johnny at gmx.net
Fri Mar 1 13:33:59 PST 2002

Am Freitag, 1. März 2002 19:03 schrieben Sie:
> On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 12:03:13AM +0000, William L. Maltby wrote:
> > If my memory serves me, something is scrogged here. When you (re) boot
> > and do something like
> >
> >    lfskernel single
> >
> > you should _not_ get the "... passwd/Ctl-D" prompt. _That_ is used to
> > enter a "recovery" mode when the normal boot detects an unacceptable
> > error like to many errors on an fsck for root, usr, etc. At least that's
> > the way I recall it on several RH and one Slackware version.
>
> That's possible yes. But every distribution does it differently.
>
> Try this out, it may have the result you desire: edit /etc/inittab, find
> this line:
>
> 	su:S016:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
>
> Remove the 'S' from it, so it becomes:
>
> 	su:016:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
Now it gives me a rootshell without a passwd, and when I type Ctrl-d, it boots up normally. The first behaviour is for me incorrect, and the latter is correct.
Well, I think that a rootshell without a passwd ist a sec hole. Could anyone tell me, how to set it up, that passwd auth IS re
Thanks in advance,

Johnny
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org