how to creat a compact linux system ?

Cor Lem c-lem at gmx.net
Fri Jun 7 04:18:27 PDT 2002

At 14:31 7-6-02 +0800, you wrote:
>first,i'm sorry for my pool english.
>
>the book say :"We installed a system that was just enough to run the
>Apache web server; total disk space usage was approximately 8 MB.With
>further stripping, that can be brought down to 5 MB or less."
>
>somebody can tell me how i can do this .thanks a lot.

I think blfs-support is a better place to point this message to ...

Anyway, I found an answer to that question - I started reading:
http://www.netspace.net.au/~gok/power2bash/buildMin/buildMin.html
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/From-PowerUp-To-Bash-Prompt-HOWTO.html
http://www.pathname.com/fhs/

Just copy over only what you need and use ldd 'file' to find out what
libraries are needed.
Using that method I have created a minimal (logging-)host, size 15Mb.

I didn't strip the debugging-symbols, which would bring size even down a
little more.
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/view/3.3/chapter09/theend.html

On a regular LFS-system all files are compiled using glibc. An alternative
to glibc is uClibc which results in smaller binaries.
http://www.uclibc.org/

Also take a look at busybox:
http://busybox.net/

Using uClibc and busybox the size of my log-server is under 1Mb now
(including kernel)
Hope this helps you get on your way ...

Greetz,
Cor Lem