rpc.portmap?

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 30 07:22:07 PDT 2001

On Sun, Sep 30, 2001 at 12:38:15AM -0400, Jim Brewster wrote:
> In reading up on NFS I learned that a daemon called rpc.portmap (or
> portmap on some systems) must be running before the other nfsd daemons
> can run. On my Slackware systems there is an executable file
> /sbin/rpc.portmap, but no such beast on LFS. Is this not part of the
> standard LFS packages? If so, how did I end up not installing it? If
> not where can I find it? I checked nfs-utils and it's not there either.

It's part of the portmap package. It's hard to find it seems, i don't know
where the original  portmap-5 package is hosted (via freshmeat i found a
portmap-4), but the Debian source archive has it at:

http://west.dl.sourceforge.net//mirrors/debian/pool/main/p/portmap

get the portmap_5.orig.tar.gz and the  portmap-5-2.diff.gz files

unpack the tarball, apply the diff file, compile the thing, run the portmap
daemon, nfs should work now.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org