Question about file system layout

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Sep 30 07:17:26 PDT 2001

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 11:43:29PM -0400, Keith MacDonald wrote:
> For linux, I'd like to similarly modify the directory structure and names of
> directories, perhaps alongs the following lines:

It's all possible yes. When you get to chapter 4, just change all those
directories around.

your "User Files/User x/ directory would be what is normally known as
/home, so rename /home into /User Files/

(you may want to forego the spaces in file and directory names. They can be
a pain sometimes, but not impossible, you just have to remember to enclose
them in quotes when accessing them).

A /program files/ directory is possible too. It's kind of what /opt is used
for (and /usr and /usr/local in some fashion). When installing a package,
run it with --prefix=/"user files"/"program directory"/ and it will be
installed there, provided the package listens to the prefix option (most
do, a select few don't).

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org