rpc.portmap?

Jim Brewster bardobro at toad.net
Sat Sep 29 21:38:15 PDT 2001

Hello!

I'm looking for more info on rpc.portmap. My new LFS system is running
as a NFS client to a Slackware 7.0 server. Another Slack 7 system on
the same box mounts the NFS share without a hitch. The LFS system sets
up TCP/IP and eth0 just fine, and can ping the local network and the
internet, but when I run 'mount 192.168.1.5:/ /mnt' I lose that
terminal (no cursor and can't input) for about 3 minutes. Periodically
it will output the message:

'portmap: server localhost not responding, timed out'

About half the time it will eventually mount the NFS share and everything works
fine from there.

In reading up on NFS I learned that a daemon called rpc.portmap (or
portmap on some systems) must be running before the other nfsd daemons
can run. On my Slackware systems there is an executable file
/sbin/rpc.portmap, but no such beast on LFS. Is this not part of the
standard LFS packages? If so, how did I end up not installing it? If
not where can I find it? I checked nfs-utils and it's not there either.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim
--