boot error message

J.A. Neitzel jan.listbox at belvento.org
Sat Sep 29 10:15:38 PDT 2001

Dave Ayers wrote:

> I get this message when I boot 3.0-pre4 (installed per book):
>
> /etc/rcS.d/S200checkfs: Line 96: syntax error: unexpected end of
> file
>
> When I open checkfs in vim the last line is 95. Reading through
> the script, I can't find anything wrong. What should I be looking
> for that (apparently) isn't obvious?

This type of error message commonly indicates that you have a if ... fi,
but the "fi" is missing. That is why you get:
"syntax error: unexpected end of file"

The quick and easy explanation? The shell comes to the end of file before
finding what it's looking for. Now, if it finds the matching "fi" before
coming to the EOF then you won't get this message. It would be nice if
the error message told you more... Like "missing fi" or something like
that.
--
Cheers,
Jeff