gawk not being found

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Sep 28 16:01:17 PDT 2001

On Fri, Sep 28, 2001 at 05:57:39PM -0400, Howell Strain wrote:
> Basicly,
> I don't understand what happened when we deleted ncurses and unpacked it
> again. I don't understand the "decision" the computer made and why it
> changed stuff in the unpacked directory. Maybe I don't truly understand what
> the commands in the script do.

Well, if you change something on your system and you don't re-unpack a
source tree fresh, then the next time you run the configure script, it'll
use a cache from the previous time you ran it. So no matter what you change
on your system, it'll keep finding the old values. That's why it'
recommend to always start fresh with a package if during the previous
compile attempt something went wrong.

This is a bit over stated though, there are cases where you don't have to
start fresh. It just depends on the situations. The best thing is just to
try and see what happens. That's the best way to get a 'feel' for fixing
compile problems, because there's always more than one of doing something.

To answer your question: delete and re-unpack, just to be on the safe side.
Deleting and unpacking never hurts, using a previous used source directory
can hurt, so I think the choice is easily made then.

--
Gerard Beekmans
www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org